Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-16 15:46:15 BdST
Mymensingh's Fulbarhia resident Waz Uddin, accused with others of several charges of crimes against humanity during the Liberation War, died while absconding.
The opening hearing on their charges was to be initiated on Jan 31 this year.
On Jan 12, a news channel exposé and later a report submitted by Mymensingh SP revealed Waz Uddin died a fugitive on May 7 last year.
On Jan 19, the ICT accepted the prosecution's plea to drop charges against Waz Uddin.
Peeved about the matter, the Justice Shahinur Islam-led tribunal the same day summoned SP Islam and ordered the inspector general of police (IGP) to file an explanation.
On Thursday, the senior police officer appeared before the court and rendered his unconditional apology through his lawyer.
The court issued a warning to SP Islam before accepting his plea.
Expressing his dissatisfaction over police's negligence, the judge said that the police 'nowadays do not pay heed to the tribunal's order.'
The court, however, did not accept the IGP's explanation as it was signed by his counsel instead of him.
The court has ordered the IGP to resubmit it within 10 days, ICT Chief Prosecutor Golam Arif Tipu said.
In his explanation submitted to the court, SP Islam admitted to negligence and said measures have been taken against those responsible.
According to the IGP's explanation, departmental measures have been taken against three persons, including a law-enforcer.
The court said in its order, "The court had given an order, which was not followed properly. It's a gross negligence to the judiciary."