Another woman allegedly stripped naked and tortured in Noakhali

A case has been started in Noakhali over another incident in Noakhali in which a group of men stripped a woman naked and assaulted her after breaking into her home.

The 32-year-old victim alleges that 'local criminals' carried out the assault in front of her children after a failed attempt to rape her on Jan 1 in Adarsh village of Hatia Upazila's Chandi Union No. 2.

The case was filed with the District's Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal-2 on Jan 5. The judge subsequently directed the Additional Superintendent of Police of Hatia Circle to submit an investigation report to the court within seven working days.

ASP Golam Farooq later went to the scene of the incident to investigate after receiving the court order, he said.

Efforts are underway to arrest the accused in the case, according to Farooq. An investigation report will be submitted in the next two to three days, he added.

According to the case statement, the accused broke into the woman's house on Jan 1 while her husband was away and 'tried to rape' her. But after failing in their attempts to rape her, the assailants stripped the victim naked and beat her up. The suspects were identified as 'Zia' alias Jihad, 'Faruk', 'Enayet' and 'Bhutto Majhi'

The men eventually fled after neighbours began gathering outside the home upon hearing the screams of the victim and her children.

Later, her husband admitted her to the 250-bed Noakhali General Hospital. After two days of treatment, the woman went to court and filed a case.

Meanwhile, a video of the incident has allegedly been posted to Facebook, in which, the woman's screams can purportedly be heard. However, could not independently verify the authenticity of the video.

Asked about the matter, ASP Farooq said, "We are trying to find out who posted this video on Facebook. We are also working to identify the victim in the video.”

Last year, a video of another woman being stripped naked and assaulted in Noakhali's Begumganj was circulated on Facebook. sparking public outrage.

The government subsequently elevated the maximum punishment to rape amid nationwide protests in the wake of that incident,