Saturday, October 21, 2017

GD on Ashkona suspect’s 'disappearance' goes missing from police station

  • Liton Haider and Mujibul Haque Polash,
    Published: 2017-03-20 03:09:40 BdST


A complaint filed by the family with police over the disappearance of the youth, who died in RAB custody after being arrest as a suspect in the attack on the elite force's camp in Dhaka's Ashkona, has gone missing from the police station.

The family of the youth, Hanif Mridha from Dhaka city, filed the complaint (general diary or GD) with Siddhirganj Police Station in Narayanganj, saying that he and one of his friends were picked by people posing as Detective Branch officials on Feb 27. has learned that Hanif's brother Abdul Halim Mridha filed the GD on Mar 1 saying Hanif and his friend Sohel Montu were returning home at Mohammadpur in Dhaka from Barisal by a private car when they were picked up at Kanchpur in Narayanganj.

"The GD book (consisting of complaints) from Mar 1 has been lost. We have searched vigorously but couldn't find it," Siddhirganj Police Station OC Muhammad Sharafat Ullah told on Sunday.   

Sub-Inspector Md Rasel was tasked with investigating the GD No. 135.

"I can tell you only that the GD was filed. I can't say anything more," he said, declining to comment on the investigation. "Please speak to my supervisory officer," he added.

When asked about the lost GD book, he asked instead, "What can I say if it can't be found?"

Narayanganj Superintendent of Police Moinul Haque was surprised hearing about the matter on Sunday night.

"I've heard it first from you. I know nothing about it. I'll check the matter," he said.

An attacker, who finagled into the RAB’s Ashkona camp, died when his suicide vest exploded injuring two RAB men on Friday. Hanif was arrested by the elite forces from the same area but later died in custody.

The RAB sent his body to Dhaka Medical College morgue for post-mortem examination on Saturday, a day after he was arrested in Ashkona for his suspected links to the suicide attack on the camp, according to the force.

RAB spokesperson Mufti Mahmud Khan said he fell ill after his arrest around 4pm on Friday and taken to Kurmitola General Hospital where he died at around 5:45pm the same day.

After the post-mortem examination on the following day, head of DMC Forensics Department Professor Sohel Mahmud told that initially, they came to know that Hanif had died of 'cardiac arrest'. "But we've collected sample for viscera test," he added.

The body is at the DMC Mortuary now.

Referring to initial investigation, RAB officials said Hanif hailed from Barguna's Amrhagachhia. On Monday, the elite force said he lived in Rayerbazar.