Monday, December 17, 2018

Maldivian model, medical student Raudha killed herself: CID  

  • Rajshahi Correspondent,
    Published: 2017-10-18 01:04:48 BdST


Raudha Athif, the Maldivian model who was found dead in her college dormitory room in Rajshahi, had died by suicide, says police's final investigation report. 

The report filed at Rajshahi's Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court on Tuesday does not hold anyone accountable for the 21-year-old's death, said Inspector Asmaul Haque of the Criminal Investigation Department.

"It doesn’t name anyone as her murderer. The case's plaintiffs want to object to the report. They have sought time from Judge Mahbubur Rahman but the court is yet to issue directives."

"Two autopsies, viscera examination and findings from her phone proved she killed herself. We filed final our report after completing these stages," said Asamul.

The investigator said Raudha's father, who earlier accused authorities of missteps, was told about the findings before it was filed in court.

Raudha killed herself after failing in her relationship, he said.

"She was in a relationship with a Maldivian boy named Shahi Ghani, who studies in London. Her conversation over WhatsApp show that her relationship was over. She was suffering a lot mentally. She spoke to Shahi the day before she killed herself."

Raudha, the aquamarine-eyed model who appeared on the cover of Vogue, was found dead in the room of the girl's hostel at Islami Bank Medical College in Rajshahi's Nawdaparha on Mar 29.

She was a second-year MBBS student. The college authorities had filed a case over unnatural death at Shah Makhdum Police Station.

After an autopsy, her body was buried in Rajshahi in the presence of her family members. The autopsy report said she died after hanging herself. Two police detectives conducted their own probe in Rajshahi.

The committee her college formed over her death also said Raudha killed herself but her father Mohammad Athif dismissed the findings to file a case for murder on Apr 10.

Raudha's Indian Kashmiri classmate Sirat Parvin was the sole accused in the case. She was never arrested but a ban had been placed to prevent her from leaving Bangladesh.

Shah Makhdum Police handed the case to CID on Apr 14. Raudha's body was then exhumed for a second autopsy, which also concluded that she had killed herself by hanging.