Court grants more time to Rana Plaza collapse investigator to file report

  • Court Correspondent, bdnews24.com
    Published: 2015-04-15 16:41:37 BdST

bdnews24
File Photo

The investigating officer (IO), probing the 2013 collapse of the Rana Plaza building at Dhaka’s Savar, has been granted more time to submit his report to the court.

The court of Dhaka’s Chief Judicial Magistrate granted Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Bijay Krishna Kar five more weeks to file the report after he sought an extension on Wednesday.

Kar, an official of the police’s Crime Investigation Department (CID), was asked to submit his reports on May 21.

On Apr 24, 2013, the Rana Plaza building in Savar, which housed five garment factories, collapsed.

Official figures put the death toll at 1,135, mostly workers of the garment factories. At least 2,458 people were rescued from the rubbles.

Two cases were filed over the incident—one over death due to negligence and the other under the building code.

The court had earlier sought explanations from the IO over the delay.  ASP Kar told the court that the chargesheet would be filed as soon as possible.

State Minister for Home Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal had said in April 2014 that the police would complete the investigation ‘very soon’.

“[Police] taking time so the chargesheet can be accurate. It will be submitted very soon,” the minister had said.

A total of 21 people have been arrested over the collapse. Of them, 8 have secured bail from the High Court.

The owner of the collapsed building Sohel Rana has been accused in both cases.