Monday, December 17, 2018

BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia to return to Dhaka after three months

  • Senior Correspondent,
    Published: 2017-10-18 13:33:48 BdST


BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia is on her way to Dhaka after three months in the UK.

She is returning in the wake of court warrants in three cases of inciting violence and defamation.

Khaleda left London’s Heathrow International Airport aboard an Emirates flight at 9:45pm local time on Tuesday, UK BNP Chairperson MA Malek told

She is scheduled to arrive at Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport at 5:20pm after a two-and-a-half hour stopover in Dubai.

Khaleda's Personal Assistant ABM Abdus Sattar and house help Fatema Akhter are travelling with her, BNP leaders said.

Khaleda Zia flew to London for medical treatment on Jul 15. There she stayed with her son Tarique Rahman. Her late son Arafat Rahman Koko’s wife and daughter also came to London to celebrate Eid with her.

She successfully underwent an eye surgery at London’s Moorfields Eye Hospital on Sept 8. She also received treatment for arthritis.

Tarique Rahman, who has lived in the UK for the past nine years, drove his mother to Heathrow on Tuesday. Tarique’s wife Zubaida Rahman and other family members were also present.

A few hundred BNP activists gathered at the airport to see off Khaleda, said MA Malek.

The party has not organised a central official reception for Khaleda, but some party activists and affiliate organisations are gathering on Dhaka’s airport road to greet her.

Some senior BNP leaders, including Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir will also meet the BNP chief at the airport.

Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan evaded questions about whether any of the warrants would be acted upon as soon as Khaleda arrived.

“Legal measures will be taken once the warrants are received,” he said.

Police have not yet received the warrants, according to reports citing Inspector General of Police AKM Shahidul Hoque.

BNP leader Moudud Ahmed says the government will not make the ‘mistake’ of arresting Khaleda upon her arrival.

“We will go to court on Thursday and arrange for her bail,” he said.